Thursday, January 7, 2010

Calor gas heater or oil filled radiator?

My house has no gas supply, but is fitted with oil fired central heating. I can't afford the oil as it is costing me approx £40 a week and I am sure using electricity would be cheaper. I am using my dining room as a living room as it is smaller, therefore taking less heating.





I am using a fan heater in my sons bedroom which I put on for 1 hour before he goes to bed. I have a electric blanket on my bed which I use for about half an hour before I go to bed.





I just need something to heat my living room. I am in most of the day. What would be most effective and cheapest to run, a calour gas heater (using bottled gas) or an oil filled radiator?





Is anyone heating there house in a similar way? How much does your electricity cost and how long do you have your heaters on for?





Thanks in advanceCalor gas heater or oil filled radiator?
Calor Gas is the cheapest and most effective but it has one great snag. A calor heater can throw out a litre of moisture into the air per hour. That can do a lot of damage to your paintwork and bring on severe condensation problems on windows. A de humidifier would deal with that but they cost money to run and need frequent emptying.





Oil filled electric radiators hold their heat well and can be run economically together with a thermostat and a timer. So if you had it on 2 kilowatts but on and off every half hour, on a timer, the equivalent would be a very economical one kilowatt running costs. No messing either.


The comments above do make good sense but bear in mind what I said. Best of luck. DBCalor gas heater or oil filled radiator?
Firstly, bottled gas heaters produce 110% water from the original gas capacity, so your house will be full of water vapour. secondly, They burn-up the oxygen and produce carbon dioxide gas which makes you tired.. I know of two deaths, and one case of brain damage caused by these heaters. In certain European countries, it is illegal to sell them.


They are OK in the like of a vegetable shop with the door permanently open.


I can give you more information by email if you require it.
£40 A WEEK? Do you have your heating on all day or something? I have oil fuelled central heating, it's a 2 bed semi and I pay £40 a month to the oil company who then come and top up my tank when I need it. I usually have 2 deliveries a year. (1000 litre tank). I have the heating on from 4pm-10pm and it also heats the water of which we have a bath or shower each every day. You should get someone to have a look at your system, maybe you have a leak cos you shouldn't be using that much oil.


I am also on an electricity meter which costs £10 a week but there is no way I would use electric to heat as that is extortion!
My last house had no mains gas and we used a big red bottle of gas on the outside wall. The only problem was the condensation from it and the odd smell. The cheapest electric is the white meter tariff which you get with night storage heaters.


I was surprised when a work colleague informed me that his heating was by oil and it worked out a lot cheaper than anything else. Which I thought was funny but he insisted that he has cost-ed it all out and says that with the oil once you've bought a tank of it you are not worried of increasing bills.


One thing that I forgot to mention is The blue gas bottles that you get in these portable heaters cost a fortune and when you buy the big red bottles that must be kept outside of your house it is better to have a pair and you can buy an auto switch valve then when one is empty it switches over to the full one then you need not be out of gas.
I'd be wary of the fumes from the gas heater. They arent fatal but they do make you tired. I bought an electric halogen heater for £9.99 from Wilkinsons. Its efficient and has 3 bars and a safety cut out switch incase it gets knocked over.
Not only does the calor gas heater throw out more heat you can control your finances better because you pay for the refill when you need it and dont run up an even bigger electricity bill
calor gas heater
I find calor gas heater throws out more heat.

2 comments:

  1. I would go for an oil-filled radiator. Mine is the De’Longhi Dragon 3 TRD0820T Oil Filled Radiator with Timer. De’Longhi Dragon 3 TRD0820T Oil Filled Radiator is a stylish heater with a free 10 year manufacturer’s guarantee. It combines the advantage of a larger radiating surface with the speed to hot air convection known as the ‘Higher Chimney Effect’.

    ReplyDelete