Thursday, January 7, 2010

I have air locks in my radiators the system is oil fired combi boiler and makes a gurgling noise?

How do I get rid of the airlocks. I've tried bleeding all radiators in turn, but a couple are old fashioned and have no release valve.I have air locks in my radiators the system is oil fired combi boiler and makes a gurgling noise?
There is probably a good chance your circulator is pumping toward your expansion tank. This will cause the pump to move water with a negative pressure. The quick answer here is move your circulator to the supply side of the boiler after the expansion tank. This will cause the pump to move water with a positive pressure and will eliminate all those air problems. There is a book written soley about this problem, it is called PUMPING AWAY by Dan Holohan. Go to www.heatinghelp.com and look for book sales.I have air locks in my radiators the system is oil fired combi boiler and makes a gurgling noise?
Tony, thanks for the info. I think the pressure was down, so I've re-pressurised/re-filled or whatever it is that it does, and the gauge has now gone back up - may have bled the radiators too much, so I'll see how this goes for a while. Thanks again. Report Abuse

It is not about the gurgling noises but that air in the line makes your system less efficient. Less hot water in the system means that you are getting less heat transfer from the water to the radiator. Air makes a good insulator. If your radiator is only half full of water then you are only getting about half the effect.





I would get the pump running (cool/cold water) then open the output(exit) side of the radiator pipe but be careful to have a bucket handy and let the air vent from there if that works. Hopefully you have a union there to open.





One other thing you can do it put a riser pipe on the highest radiator in your house with a valve on the end of it. Might mean opening up a radiator input or output pipe, adding a T fitting then the riser so that the air can rise into it, then you can open that to bleed the system.





Also check with your local heating guys and I believe that there is a self bleeder unit that you can install somewhere near your water pump or maybe at high point in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment