Thursday, January 7, 2010

What saves more energy: convection heater or oil-filled radiator?

I need to heat a room in which there is no central heating. My options are: a convection heater or an oil-filled radiator. Fan heaters I've ruled out, because they waste too much energy without heating a room properly.





I'd like to find out which type of heater is better at saving energy and heating up a room effectively, i.e. the room doesn't go cold as soon as the heater is switched off.





I've tried various 'green' forums, but haven't found a reliable answer. Thanks for any advice on this.What saves more energy: convection heater or oil-filled radiator?
You are looking at this through the wrong end of a telescope. The wattage of any heater defines it's heat output. Whether it be fan, convector, radiant, same watts means they are equal in output and efficiency. You pays your money and takes your choice, as they say.What saves more energy: convection heater or oil-filled radiator?
It's a tough question, the heater puts out whatever it's rating is, they will also consume similar amounts of energy whilst on, however the covnvection heater needs to remain on to produce heat, but the oil filled heater can switch on and off as it remains warm once the oil is warmed up, so theoreticallly it uses less energy, however it also takes longer to warm up.





To keep a room warm, I'd go for the oil.
I think the oil filled one would be cheaper. When switched off after heating it stays warm for a while. Also it has a timer and a heat switch Warm, Medium. Hot. I use one for the same reason you have.
There is no difference. The amount of heat you get will be whatever energy (electricity) is used.





They both heat mostly by convection with some radiated heat.
convection heater because using the oil filled radiator would use a fossil fuel and create pollution.
Check the energy use labels on each unit.
I've used both types of heaters, but in recent years I have become solved on 'halogen' convector heaters, I own 2 and I also bought 2 for my daughter when she was struggling with electricity usage and it did seem to help her.





I believe they use even less energy than oil filled radiators generally, and they seem to heat rooms better and more efficiently. They are cheap to buy (as little as 拢10 from a cheap shop or a supermarket), they use max 1.2 KW with all 3 bars on. They have a tilt and turn mechanism that rotates the heater and throws both radiated and convected heat around the room. So it would cost max around 15 pence every hour (at 15 pence per KW hour) using all 3 bars, or 5 pence per hour using one bar - one bar works quite well during mild winter weather, but you need to use all 3 when it gets really cold.





They give off a lot of light as well, so much light in fact that you don't need to put the light on when you enter a room.... just a thought. Also, oil rads take ages to heat up, but the heat from these is instant.





Hope that helps you my friend. Check out my link......

No comments:

Post a Comment