Saturday, December 26, 2009

I have oil in my radiator reservoir- 1996 Ford Mustang, V6, 3.8 liter, 5 Speed Stick?

I noticed what apeared to be oil in my reservoir. Checked oil for signs of water- nothing found, just looks like old oil. The next morning, I tried to start the car but it didn't start. Got a jump, and everything was good after that. However, after being on the road for about 3 hours the car started to overheat with no A/C on the entire trip. The next morning, checked the car, radiator fluid in reservoir was low. So I filled it up, drove the car and it overheated in about 10 minutes. Went to start it up after it cooled down and it didn't start. I didn't observe any knocking or pulling when I drove the car, it ran smooth like it usually does. However, I noticed that when I pressed the gas pedal in neutral the temp gauge read hot but it went back to normal or in the middle when I let off the gas. Please help!!! What do you think the problem is....I have oil in my radiator reservoir- 1996 Ford Mustang, V6, 3.8 liter, 5 Speed Stick?
head gaskets are normally the cause for oil in coolant. severe case would be a crack in the block yes it will over heat and you should get it pressure tested to see where it is leaking from. I hope for your luck that its not internal and driving to long with overheating problems will cause warpage of the heads and/or block. you may end up spinning a bearing or other type of internal damage if you keep driving with this problemI have oil in my radiator reservoir- 1996 Ford Mustang, V6, 3.8 liter, 5 Speed Stick?
It is most likely a leaking head gasket





The 3.8 litre is a pretty tough and reliable little engine and worth fixing.





However,a Cracked head or block will also give the same symptoms. All the above can cause over heating, oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil. A pressure test will determine where it is leaking. I hope that its just the gasket %26amp; not internal. Overheating can cause additional problems, so, Do not drive except a short distance to the auto shop. Lots of additional damage if you keep driving with this problem





You need to get this checked out. Don't drive except to your trusted Mechanic.





Sorry...none of these are cheap fixes. Best of luck.





Yours: Grumpy
ouch, um sounds like a head-gasket but im no pro.


hope it works out
Either your head gasket is blown (about $400) or you have a huge crack in your block or head ($900-2000). Bummer dude.
Intake or head gasket most likely...
I hate to say (or see..) , but last time i had light brown residue in my radiator , it was oil , and it WAS from a blown head gasket, i mean - what else could it be?
With a 3.8 having those symptoms, the most common thing would be a head gasket failure!
sounds like you have a blown head gasket, which can lead to a cracked head due to overheating take it to a mechanic right away before you do anymore damage.
yup a head gasket, yur lookin at around $375

No comments:

Post a Comment