Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What do I do if I accidentally put oil in the radiator?

I accidentally put oil in the radiator cause I have to refill my car with both constantly (oil and antifreeze) and I guess somewhere in there I messed up big time. I didnt put it all in there but I put enough to scare me from attempting to cut it on. Its a 1998 Honda Accord, not that I think that helps.What do I do if I accidentally put oil in the radiator?
It wont damage the engine but may restrict the flow in the radiator. Best to drain it and flush it.What do I do if I accidentally put oil in the radiator?
Oooop, I did it before. You need to flush the radiator (back or not is not the issue).
yes you need to flush the radiator
flash the system immediately!!! do not run the car!
if you haven't turned it on yet don't, disconnect the radiator from the engine and get it flushed
If you poured oil in the overflow you can get it out yourself if you did not start engine. Oil floats on water. Get a hose long enough to syphon antifreeze out overflow. Get a container to catch the syphoned antifreeze and oil. Fill the hose with water holding both ends together until the water is equal. Put your thumb over one end and put the other in the overflow. Keep thumb on other end until you put hose in container. gravity will allow the antifreeze and oil to flow in container.
I don't believe it will hurt anything, just a lube
Flush it a few times.
OK ... are you sure that you actually poured oil into your radiator? OR did a mechanic tell you that you have oil in your radiator?





There is a difference





If you have a blown head gasket oil will seep into your radiator/coolent on its own and cause problems. Either way I would do a radiator flush professionally then drive the car for about 1000 miles then check the coolent again and make sure that it has remained its green or orange color ...





if the color changes to a brownish mush after 1000 ... then you have a blown head gasket ... and you get to shop around for a new car.
yr hv got a big problem with yr radiator or water pump.
If I were you, I would have someone drain it immediately. Wow. From there, put enough antifreeze back into the car in hopes of getting it to a mechanic. Please ask for a coolant flush. While you're at it, ask the technician to check out any other problems that you may be having. You may not want to spend the money for repairs now, but it's better than having to replace your car in the future.
Drain the radiator and you will probably be fine if you only put a little oil in. If you want to be 100% positive you wont have any problems, flush the radiator or have it towed to a place that does this.
only a qt? dont even worry...if its in overffow..drain it but 1 qt in radiator of 20 qt is nothing...
only open the drain that is in the bottom of the radiator and then put antifreeze and that's it

No comments:

Post a Comment